SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – University of Missouri tennis earned its second-consecutive 7-0 sweep, knocking off Central Arkansas at the Cooper Tennis Complex in Springfield on Friday.
The Tigers moved their record to 9-1 on the season and did not drop a set on the day.
The first doubles pairing of Inah Canete and Gabriela Martinez got on the board with a 6-1 win and the No. 3 squad of Andrea Artimedi and Romary Cardenas was next in at 6-3 to secure the doubles point. Mae Canete and Emelie Schwarte closed out the 7-6 win moments later for the sweep.
“Very solid weekend for the Tigers,” Head Coach Chris Wootton said. “I felt like we were fierce, focused and accomplished the end goal for the weekend by winning both matches 7-0. It is very difficult to go undefeated in singles and doubles over the weekend. Both SEMO and Central Arkansas play in the national tournament on a yearly bases and it’s great to see us continuing a great start to the season. Sitting at 9-1, we are putting ourselves in the driver’s seat to earn a tournament bid.”
Mae Canete had no troubles at No. 1 singles and was finished first with a 6-1, 6-0 victory. Martinez was done next with a 6-2, 6-1 triumph at No. 4.
No. 5 Inah Canete (6-2, 6-0), No. 3 Laura Masic (6-1, 6-2), No. 6 Artimedi (6-2, 6-2) and No. 2 Schwarte (7-6 [7-2], 6-2) all wrapped up in short order to finish off the Friday sweep.
Mizzou will return to action on Friday, Feb. 10 with Braggin’ Rights on the line against Illinois. The Tigers and Illini will square off at 2 p.m. CT inside Sunset Tennis in St. Louis, Missouri.
“I like the way this team is playing a where we are mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually,” Wootton said. “We are looking forward to the Illinois match which will give us an idea of where are at for the rest of the nonconference season and going into Southeastern Conference play.”
Missouri 7, Central Arkansas 0
Cooper Tennis Complex • Springfield, Missouri
- Inah Canete and Gabriela Martinez (MIZ) def. Sumomo Hamanaga and Nanoka Kazama (UCA) 6-1
- Mae Canete and Emelie Schwarte (MIZ) def. Jaeun Lee and Nicole Ross (UCA) 7-6
- Andrea Artimedi and Romary Cardenas (MIZ) def. Ting-An Chen and Konomi Miyakawa (UCA) 6-3
- Mae Canete (MIZ) def. Konomi Miyakawa (UCA) 6-1, 6-0
- Emelie Schwarte (MIZ) def. Jaeun Lee (UCA) 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
- Laura Masic (MIZ) def. Sumomo Hamanaga (UCA) 6-1, 6-2
- Gabriela Martinez (MIZ) def. Nanoka Kazama (UCA) 6-2, 6-1
- Inah Canete (MIZ) def. Ting-An Chen (UCA) 6-2, 6-0
- Andrea Artimedi (MIZ) def. Nicole Ross (UCA) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish
Singles — 1 4 5 3 6 2; Doubles — 1 3 2
FOLLOW THE TIGERS
Visit MUTigers.com for the latest information on all things Mizzou Tennis. You can also find the Tigers on social media by liking us on Facebook (Mizzou Tennis) and following us on Twitter (@MizzouTennis) and Instagram (Mizzou_Tennis).